New VB online help via Excel 2007

haw

Board Regular
I've been frustrated about something ever since I upgraded to from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 ... When I am in the VB Code window, writing code, and I have a question or encounter a syntax error or whatever ... it seems almost impossible to get any useful info from F1 / Help. In prior Excel versions (2003 and earlier) I could simply highlight the word (property, function, or whatever), press <F1>, and then the LOCAL help file would open up. This was very quick and most of the time it actually opened right on the very page I needed to read to educate myself about the property, function, etc.

Now with Excel 2007, it seems that whenever I press F1 the behavior is no longer "context sensitive" like it was previously. Instead, I get a few second delay where the feedback says something like "contacting MS Office online for information" and then what opens is some kind of generic (and pretty useless) listing of the highest level help topics that might exist. Then I usually try navigating the table of contents / hyperlinks, looking for whatever I'm after. Then after a while I try SEARCHing for the keyword that I had highlighted in the first place. All this takes more time than its worth and mostly I never find what I'm after. In fact, what I have been doing instead, is just Googling whatever I'm after -- for example "VBA SET Statement". And though this works, it produces rather random information, from various sources ... and I'm the kind of person that would prefer to RTFM myself, instead. But since accessing the help info is now so difficult, that's what I've been doing. Pretty sad...

So ... my question is this: is there some configuration setting or something that I can change somewhere, that influences this behavior -- uses whatever local help information still exists?

And by the way ... the help WITHIN EXCEL works kind of this same way, too -- instead of giving me the local help file where I can, for example, look up some specific Function ... it "contacts MS Office online" instead, and then gives me content that is too generic to be useful. So I have the same question on this basic help within Excel -- does the local help file still exist and can I have it pulled up as my first preference?

Thanks for any ideas.
ADam

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Within Excel 2007:

[Office Button} | Excel Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings ... (button) | Privacy Options

You can uncheck the box for using online content there. That will help. I find I miss the "help" box where you could type in a function name or topic and get the article on it. I'm rather surprised we lost this. With online help disabled, however, you will have more Excel-specific content to work with. (Note: if you have the function typed in a cell you can mouse over it and right click to get a "link" to the help article - but I hardly ever used that. I really do miss that help textbox to type into).

VBA-wise:
In the VBE, I find that using F1 with an object/method/property highlighted does bring up a context-sensitive article if online help, again, is disabled and local content is searched.

Web-wise:
When searching the web, try the keywords MSDN Excel 2007, such as "MSDN Excel 2007 Trim". This will hopefully get the Office developers reference right at the top of your searches, often with the same information you'd see in Excel's local help file.

Finally, be sure to check for office updates periodically as the help files are often updated, and I don't think these low priority updates are pushed out automatically.

Hope this helps. We will probably see improvements in the help but I agree the "Office Online" search is basically never what I want. I'm pretty sure you'll find the local content better suited to your needs - but check for updates as there were more than a few in the last 12 months.

Upvote 0
EXCELLENT advice ... thanks so much! Setting Excel to work in "offline" mode like you suggested does make the Help behave much more like "the old style" ... and gives me the context sensitive info I wanted. And thanks for the MSDN idea on the web searches, too.

Cheers!
Adam

I'm a PC and we'll see if W8 turns out to be MY idea, or not! I asked MS to make the (default) help content helpful again. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back