Suggestion

T. Valko

Yeah, I know, I'm new here...

I was just wondering if it was possible to "force" the poster to tell us what version of Excel they use when posting an Excel related question.

For example, when someone posts a *new* question (new thread) the very first post could have something like a drop down to select the version and this would be a "required field" otherwise the question doesn't get posted. All replys to the first post would not need to do this.

Can't be done, or, too much trouble to bother with?

That would take away all of the fun of guessing which version someone is using, e.g.,

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=838893

:biggrin:

On a more serious note, your request has merit, but I suspect too difficult in terms of investment/return to implement (although I'm not positive).

What I generally do is bring the issue up in my response if I think the question requires version clarification. :)

I know that some other Excel forums (I can list a couple if it would help) which also use the vBulletin software have an Excel version field which can be edited in the user profile and, if it has been completed, it will show in the posts together with the other user information (such as location, post count etc...).

Hi Colin, I think I just need one, and to understand how they did it. Although the latter can prolly be figured out...

I know of a highly customized site that does it, but it's based on phpBB.

Appreciate it, and perhaps offline, PM. We probably would need an option to have the version as "any", as well. No promises, I'm just saying I can look at it. :)

PM sent, Nate. Thanks for looking into it and fingers crossed! :)

Thanks, Colin.

Before I get flogged, here - I just said I would look at it. :)

Chucking in 2 cents...

It would make more sense to have it at thread level than profile level. Quite a few people on the Board use different versions at home and at work.

It could simplify the options when responding, so I'm for the idea if it's doable.

Denis

Another 2 cents ...

To further back up Denis' point: If it displayed with profile info, then presumably it would now show (say) Excel 2007 against a post that was posted by the same poster two years ago when they had Excel 2003. That could be very confusing!

I requested this elsewhere (see below), and was sent here. How are we coming on this?
Would it be possible to have "Version" field in the user profile. Then have it display with the user info? Example:

Aaron.B

Excel Version: 2007

This would make it a lot easier to know what solution to suggest to people. 2007 has a lot of nice features but I hesitate to suggest them because I never know if people are on that or 2003.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back