Add popup text to drawing

Gerald Higgins

Hi. Done a search for this, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a file (in Excel 2003) that contains a large number of drawing objects - they are basically the company logo. Clicking on them activates various macros.
This all works fine.

I would now like to add a little text box to each drawing, so that when the cursor moves over that drawing, it pops up to describe briefly what that particular drawing / macro combination does - for example PRINT THIS PAGE.

I guess it would appear in a similar manner to cell comments.

Any ideas ?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Generally I think it's better for a macro-enabled picture to give a clue as to its purpose from the picture itself, but if you really need this I think you will have to use Image controls from the control toolbox which provide a mousemove event.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory. I agree with your view on getting a clue from the picture, but the users all like the pictures the way they are. Basically the drawings all look identical - they are the company logo - but each one does a different thing - mainly navigation around the file. There is text in the cells next to the drawings which indicates what they do, but to make it as idiot proof as possible, I would like to add a little text flag when a user mouses over any of them - the same way many of the buttons on this board do.

Any ideas how I'd go about doing that ? I've tried experimenting with the Images command on the Control Toolbox toolbar, but nothing seems to happen.

Upvote 0
There's some great code from Bob (xld) here showing how to create a tooltip. You would just use the Image control's MouseMove event rather than a commandbutton's one.

Upvote 0
Sorry rorya, I've tried following the instructions in xld's post, but nothing works.
Specifically, I copied the first bit of code into a new module, then copied the second bit of code into the code module for the sheet, then renamed the picture to "cmdToolTipTest" and nothing happens.

I get the feeling I'm in over my head here.

Is anyone able to talk me through it on a more basic level ?

Cheers

Gerald

Upvote 0
Considering that you said you have a large number of drawing/picture objects assigned to macros, my best advice to you is scrap the images from your spreadsheet and go with a UserForm solution (just be sure to set the ShowModal property to False so the user can still edit the sheets while the UserForm is open). Since you have the macros written already, it's just a matter of designing the UserForm, which has a lot of possibilities to convey to the user what each commandbutton does, and relink your macros to those buttons on the UserForm.

Upvote 0
OK thanks crimson b1ade, I'll give that a go. I've not used UserForms before, so I may be back soon for more help. I have to go to bed now but I'll try it over the weekend or early next week.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back