• Wii

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • PS3

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • X-Box

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Domski

I've got a little bit of spare cash this month and am thinking of investing in a games console.

Pole position at the moment is the Wii as it looks like it's a bit of a laugh and not too expensive. Only concern is that a lot of titles coming out seem to require the next steering wheel, gun and plug in device which pushes the price of a title way up.

Next is the PS3, mainly for Gran Turismo which I loved on both the PS1 & PS2. My favourite types of games are kicking butt and driving and Playstations have always had these in spades. The only problem is I can see me then wanting to upgrade my TV and Sky box to HD which will mean kissing goodbye to the best part of a grand more.

Lastly the XBox. I don't know anyone who has ever owned one of these and I can't help but think they missed the boat with the HD-DVD mess and despite it being long established it's success seems to be mostly around FPS type games which to be honest I get bored of pretty quickly.

I'm sure there must be a few folk out there with one or more of these so would appreciate your thoughts before I part with my quite-hard-earned.

Dom

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I was always a play station guy. I am more into RPG, FPS and sports games. Not too big into racing games other than I played Need For Speed for quite a while. I only went away from play station for an xbox originally because it had a built in processor which made things a lot quicker, more efficient and able to save to the hard-drive. Sports games for simulating and other things were very much quicker, but never really liked the controller much.

I already had an HDTV so going to the PS3 didn't require me to get a new TV, which I feel I would have had to done getting the PS3 like you said, but XBOX 360 is also HD. I don't have a 360 though, just the regular XBOX.

Friends have the Wii and it is a blast. Graphics suck, but I don't see the Wii as being a console for great graphics type games. I do love Zelda and Resident Evil on it. Then we also get together for Mario Party and the MarioKart. If GoldenEye ever came out on the Wii I would get one, but I still like my PS3 and will probably just stick with that more the moment.

I offered more personal preference. You may want to check out this link though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation)

Since XBOX 360 has been out the longest, Microsoft may be next with a new system and make the 360 outdated, but I haven't really researchecd what is coming out next.

I own both the WII and the X-box 360 and play both sparingly and since I am someone who is less interested in graphics quality than game playability I greatly prefer the WII over the X-Box. I mainly play the built in games that came with the system (bowling, tennis, golf, boxing, etc) and the wireless/motion controller just makes this an awesome experience. As someone with a small child in the house I see the WII being a better platform for her because it is so easy to use.

The issue of expensive peripherals is a problem with all systems. I bought the Rock Band game for the X-box this last x-mas and it set me back a good $150 because of the special input devices (drums, guitar, mike) but I think that is normal with all games that push the limits of what people typically think of as computer games.

I think the WII has allowed numerous manufacturers to realize that their is a large unexplored enviornment for games out there and that is why we are seeing so many new peripherals for it (Wii Fit is a good example).

The limited experience I have had with the X-box has left me somewhat wanting. It had no hard drive standard ($100 extra) it had no wireless standard ($100 exta) all standard on the WII. I've also experienced overheating problems leading to the red-ring of death, but luckly didn't kill the machine (came back on after cool down).

That is my 2-cents.

Take care,

Owen

I've eliminated my worries on choice...I have all 3 systems currently as well as a couple of nice HD flat screens. When it comes to choices, I would say it depends on what you are looking for in a system. Fun with physical activity or group play, and I would suggest the wii. If you are hard core gamer, who sits in a dark room alone playing games(Like me, when I have the time), then I would say either a PS3 or X360, since most of the titles are coming out for both systems now. I have not really noticed a difference between most titles. I've played turok on my X360 and my brother-in-laws PS3 both on HD TV's and I never noticed any differences.

HTH
Cal

Well, my fiance and I own all three, and I get the most use out of the xbox 360. I prefer rpg/adventure type games, (Oblivion, zelda, Fable, Metroid) and they are generally good on the xbox. However, two out of those four are Nintendo games, hence we have the Wii. The Wii is great, but I wouldn't want it as my only console, as the titles for it are very varied in quality. Some of the stuff they come up with I wonder why they ever put it in a game. We don't have many games for it, however the ones we do are generally awesome.

We bought the PS3 a couple of months ago, and my other half gets far more use out of it than me. We have Gran Tourismo on it, and I was very disappointed. Glen enjoys it, but he doesn't play it so much as other games. I don't know if that is just his taste or whether he has got bored with it reasonably quickly.

So for those reasons I ticked Xbox. More excellent games.

We have a Wii. My husband plays most days, and loves it. I've never liked computer games, but I like the Wii because the controls are so much easier. Even my nearly-3-year-old can play stuff like Wii Sports and Mario Kart, and do okay.

We haven't had to buy any extra bits yet. We have the steering wheel, because Mario Kart came with it (at not much extra cost) - but prefer to play the game with Wiimote and nunchuk. The wheels seem to sell quite well on Ebay.

One other point...The wii is the only game system where I've actually been sore after playing it over the weekend:-) The first weekend we had it, I didn't stop hurting until Tuesday:-)

If you end up going with the Wii, make sure your wii-motes have good tethers and if you have children strictly enforce usage. I don't know if there are any warranties that cover a screen getting destroyed by a wii-mote impact; but I know that most manufacturers call that non-warrantable damage. :eek:

Do remember that if you don't have a blu-ray player, the PS3 will get you that. Personally, I don't have a PS3, but I don't have a big HD television, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon. :-(

hey Domski, try digging information about Super Nintendo - I feel its an awesome console - no matter what type of game you play on it - the controls are a lil complicated but one can get easily accustomed to it when used daily :)

schielrn, you said RPG...well you like Strategy ? Did you check out the new PC version of Command n Conquer 3 - TIBERIUM WARS ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozdemr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back