Autocomplete - Maximum Data Range

keitht

Hi everyone.........

I've created a contiguous list of text data in a column from row 1 to row 3200. Rows 10 to 2999 have been filled with 'x' to ensure there are no spaces. I want AUTOCOMPLETE to be active when I overwrite any of the 'x' cells with new text. Clearly, this means that I will be entering data into the middle of a data range.

I've proven that this works using a smaller range, but it doesn't work with the 3200 rows I need. This suggests there might be a maximum limit to the number of rows that AUTOCOMPLETE refers to.

Can you pls shed some light on this?

Regards......... Keith T

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi Keith and welcome to the board.
I don't know the answer to this, but I was intrigued, and tried to replicate it.
I filled rows 1-3000 with "x" and then put the whole alphabet into A1, and then experimented to see how many characters you needed, to get Auto Complete to work.
Here's the results.
Rows 2-51 (inclusive) - 1 character, i.e. typing "a" returned a suggested "abcde..."
Rows 52-101 - 2 characters, i.e. I had to type "ab" to get the correct suggestion.
I didn't actually do it all the way down, but I'm guessing a similar pattern appears.
I'm guessing this is deliberate, on the grounds that the further away from the source you are, the less likely you are to intend the same text string.
I also noticed that these bands weren't actually consistent.
For example, around row 90, sometimes you needed 2, sometimes 3, and it seemed to be partly dependent on my speed of typing.

Not sure if this helps you - I too would be interested in the "official" version.

Upvote 0
Hi Gerald..........

Thanks for the progress you made with this puzzle.

I repeated your test with 'A-Z' in A1 and 'x' in every cell down to A3000.

I started to type in the alphabet into A2998 and AUTOCOMPLETE was activated when I had typed in 'A-X'.

There must be a rule. Any idea how to get to the bottom of this?

Regards.............. Keith T

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back