Alternative for checkboxes

Buckhorn36

First let me say that I am in the restaurant industry. I have created a spreadsheet that has the different positions in restaurant listed in each column. Each employee (125) is listed in each row. I have a checkbox in each position for each employee or about 1250 checkboxes. This is really slow going. My question is there a better way to do this. I want to be able to "check off" each time an employee is trained and certified in a new position. The rest of it I can work out.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I would put all the employee names in Column A. Put the training programs along Row 1.

Instead of using check boxes, use data validation:

Off to the side in an un-used area of your spreadsheet (maybe column M or so), put a checkmark in a cell (maybe M1).

Select Cells B2:K126 (approximating your range). Then choose Data>Validation. In the "allow" field, choose "list." Then highlight M1 (where your checkmark is) and M2 (a blank cell).

Upon completing this, each time you click on a cell in the B2:K126 range, you'll see a dropdown box that will allow you to select a checkmark.

Upvote 0
If you are not opposed to using some code, you can make this even friendlier than Outlaw's suggestion.

Download Example Workbook: Buckhorn36.297703.zip

Open a new workbook or download the example.

If, for instance, your check marks will be in range b2 to b30...

Range B2 to B30 is named "Checkmarks"
The font is set to WingDings2
Selecting a blank cell in this range will insert a checkmark
Selecting a cell that already contains a checkmark will remove it

Enlarge the font and center it for better viewing....

This code goes into the worksheet.

<table width="100%" border="1" bgcolor="White" style="filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(endColorstr='#C0CFE2', startColorstr='#FFFFFF', gradientType='0');"><tr><TD><font size="2" face=Courier New>  <font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font> Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target <font color="#0000A0">As</font> Range)
       <font color="#0000A0">If</font> Target.Cells.Count = 1 <font color="#0000A0">Then</font>
           <font color="#0000A0">If</font> <font color="#0000A0">Not</font> Intersect(Range("Checkmarks"), Target) <font color="#0000A0">Is</font> <font color="#0000A0">Nothing</font> <font color="#0000A0">Then</font>
               Target = UCase(Target)
               <font color="#0000A0">If</font> Target <> "P" <font color="#0000A0">Then</font> Target = "P" <font color="#0000A0">Else</font> Target = ""
           <font color="#0000A0">End</font> <font color="#0000A0">If</font>
       <font color="#0000A0">End</font> <font color="#0000A0">If</font>
  <font color="#0000A0">End</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font>
</FONT></td></tr></table><button onclick='document.all("10192007145257965").value=document.all("10192007145257965").value.replace(/<br \/>\s\s/g,"");document.all("10192007145257965").value=document.all("10192007145257965").value.replace(/<br \/>/g,"");window.clipboardData.setData("Text",document.all("10192007145257965").value);'>Copy to Clipboard</BUTTON><textarea style="position:absolute;visibility:hidden" name="10192007145257965" wrap="virtual">
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then
If Not Intersect(Range("Checkmarks"), Target) Is Nothing Then
Target = UCase(Target)
If Target <> "P" Then Target = "P" Else Target = ""
End If
End If
End Sub</textarea>

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I tried to send a PM to Lenze but apparently his mailbox is overflowing and has no room for new questions! :)

I am creating a budget workbook with one master sheet populated by 33 slave sheets. I want to add a column to the 33 slave sheets that utilizes the VB code for "alternative to checkboxes" that Lenze provided.

I am new to VB so I apologize in advance if my questions are juvenile.

There are two VB panels for each worksheet, one called "general" and one called "worksheet" with many "sub" options. Do I need to paste this code in to both panels of every worksheet? If yes to any part of this, is there a way to do this paste enmasse or is it only done one sheet at a time?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Renee'

Upvote 0
There are instructions on the bottom of the page that Lenze posted.

There is also a download zip file with all the code put together.
Did you try that?

Upvote 0
Yes, I've tried about everything. It is not working across mutiple pages, but I have no doubt it is user error.

Upvote 0
select all sheets
(click first and shift click last sheet)
select column 1
apply font: "wingdings 2"

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then

'EDIT column number here (replace "1")
    If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
    End If
End Sub
TO INSTALL IN THISWORKBOOK CODE WINDOW:
1. Rightclick the little Excel-icon on the topleft of your page just beside the Filemenu
2. Select "View Code" in drop down menu
3. VBE window will open ... paste code in and exit VBE

works well for me :)

EDIT:
instead of
I like this syntax
Code:
Target = IIf(Target = "P", "", "P")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back