Melanoma

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
I have been pondering what (if anything) to write on this subject. By both disposition and upbringing I ain't much of one to discuss personal matters out in public. Last few days I’ve been a fence-sittin’ tryin’ to decide if’n I oughtter write this or I oughtter not write this. I’m gonna go with “oughtter”, so here 'tis...

Six months ago or so I noticed a very dark mole on my forearm while shaving me mug in the mornin'. "Hmmm, don' recall seein' that before" I thought to myself. On my next trip to the doctor, I have him take a look; but he doesn't think it's anything. Fast forward to a few weeks ago: "Doc, I can't say fer sure, but seems to me this feller here's a-growin'". The mole itself was dark, darker than any other mole on me hide. Size-wise it was not that big, 'bout 3mm in diameter. Borders were not ragged, relatively symmetrical. But I'm a bit insistent about not likin' this particular mole, so Doc mollycoddles me and agrees to take it off. A week later I'm back to get it taken off and a week after that I'm back to get the stitches out and hear the pathology report. Now I was expecting him to say "the path report was negative, it was just a mole after all ya paranoid lily-livered girl, now go home." But that's not what he said. He looked me straight in the eyes and said "Melanoma, blah, blah, blah, blah". See, I didn't hear what followed "melanoma" because my ears were still ringing from Thor's Hammer having swung down out of the heavens and striking me straight in the sternum and I'm sittin’ on the edge of the examination table lookin' like a concussed troll. Eventually my vision clears and I'm back in the room and I hear him say "we caught it as early as anyone ever catches it. Your chances of a good outcome are very good, probably better'n 90%."
____"And a 'bad' outcome?" (He's supposed to say "bad" means chemo or major surgery.)
____"'Bad' would mean you die." (This is a very unsettling thing to hear, BTW.)

It is now two weeks to the day since then and I have learned that my melanoma was "in situ" or "Stage 0"; which is the very first stage. I have already been to the plastic surgeon for the initial consultation and back again for the second excision of the surrounding tissue. SOP for in situ it just let the nice lady surgeon carve off a bit of me pelt and it’s pretty much over. No chemo, no lymph nodes being dyed &/or removed. Just a 2-inch scar and nine stitches.

So, two weeks ago, after I got back in front of a computer screen I hit the internet and started readin' up on melanoma and it turns out that it can be pretty deadly if you let it. I learned that it's not the area, but the depth that matters and even the thickest skin you've got ain't but a couple of millimeters thick, folks. There are so many survival statistics and so many variables that I cannot in good conscience quote any without a page of footnotes. But I learned that if you catch melanoma at stage 0, the survival rates are high – north of 99% from everything I have read. Put it off and things get worse, and they get worse pretty quick. There are all sorts of factors but in a nutshell there are only a couple of millimeters that separate Stage 0 from Stage I & Stage I from Stage II. Stages III & IV have to do with how far it’s spread. All the melanoma cells have to do it get past the couple of mm of skin you’ve got and get into your lymph or blood vessels and you’re at Stage III or IV.

So, why am I taking the time to tell you about my last two weeks? Because maybe, just maybe, someone will read this and get his or her @ss to a doctor next week instead of putting it off.

Let me ask you this – if you walked into the kitchen and you saw that the stove was on and that a box of cereal was on the burner and smoke was just starting to come out, what would you do? You would walk over and turn the burner off. Then you’d toss the cereal in the sink and run some water over it, open a window to clear out the smoke and voilá, situation handled. You would not say, “Oh, I’ve got that report to work on, I’ll just run to the den and work on that for a while. I can address this later after it’s caught fire and the house is a-blaze.” Well, most of y’all wouldn’t, some of y’all I ain’t so sure about… Same deal with skin cancer. Take care of it right away and the damage is cosmetic. Let it go from smoldering to blazing before you call 911 and you’ve got structural damage (or worse).

So, that is why I’m going against my introverted nature and posting this. If you have a mole or a whatever-you-wanna-call-it, and you think maybe you ought to have a doctor take a look at it, get yer butt to the doctor and get it looked at! Do not put yourself in a position of saying “if only I had gotten this looked at earlier…” Millimeters count on this stuff! There ain’t a damned thing you’ve got to do next week that’s worth your life.

So, at the risk of being redundant -- I didn’t write this to garner any sympathy. You don’t need to send me well-intentioned messages of support (pray for me if’n ya wanna, won’t say no to that). I wrote this to prompt you into action if it’s warranted. Obviously, I hope that I am “preaching to the choir” and no one will need a kick in the knickers to get to his physician. But if’n ya need a boot put to yer britches ta get to the doctor consider this a size-13 motivator (size 48 for you European blokes) to get to the doctor next week.

So, good night, God bless and I’ll see you back in the Questions forums.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi Greg,

I'm really pleased that it was caught in time and your recovery will be full and complete. Everyone should listen to this, as it is sound advice.

all the best

William

Thank you, William & Jon. Like I said, I didn't "share" this for my own benefit. I told the story because I took action early and therefore I got off easy (so far, anyhow). I wanted to goad/coax/persuade others to take action now if they should. And, needless to say, I will now be more diligent about checking myself for other cancers as well. But even if someone reads this now and it's not until a year from now that she spots somthing "suspicious", but because my words echoed in her head, she gets the whatever-it-is checked out sooner rather than later - then this message will have done its purpose.

And while I'm back here -- I needed to check with her first to make sure I could "out" her for being a truly nice person and, consistent with her niceness, she said "Ohmigoodness...okay".

When I first learned that I had melanoma and before I had the good sense to get a copy of the path report and confirm that it was in situ, I sent a note to Anne Troy (Dreamboat) to see if she had any websites she would recommend. While she didn't have any websites to recommend, she did take the time to write me back a very thoughtful note. So an unexpected benefit of this skirmish has been to make a new friend. :) Therefore, I would like to take this chance to thank Anne for simply being such a good soul.

So "thank you", Anne.

Greg

PS - For anyone who would need a starting point, the American Cancer Society certainly has a complete site. And, while I did not use them for any part of my treatment, I found this site http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/ to be very informative.

Nice out Greg!

That's something I worry about all the time, being Irish natured with a tinge of red hair, and having spent (and still do) a good deal of my time outdoors. Learn the lesson well fellas (and SoCal bikini gals): sunscreen may stink and it may be a bit greeeeasy, but it can also save (or prolong) your slimy a$$.

On a side note, our secretary is in her 4th week of intense chemo/radiation therapy, with 3 more weeks to go. It's been hell and she's lost close to 40 pounds (the good part is that she needed to), but this was for something that was stage 0+1/2. She didn't say what it was other than it was the "female type" and we didn't ask.

Serious **** and I'm glad you caught it.

I know if I died that Cyndi'd kick my a$$! (Without a BIG insurance policy anyway!)

Take care y'all,

Smitty

Greg Truby said:
PS - For anyone who would need a starting point, the American Cancer Society certainly has a complete site. And, while I did not use them for any part of my treatment, I found this site http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/ to be very informative.

I'm very glad you got that taken care of so quickly, Greg. Even a matter of a few weeks can make a huge difference in situations like this.

I'm speaking from personal experience, people.... Even if you can't stand to go to doctors, just DO IT! The live you save may be your own (or a very close friend or family member).

Also, if anybody has any questions about the American Cancer Society, and you can't find what you're looking for online or on the phone, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can dig up. My mother-in-law works there, so... :-D

Very nice post Greg. Thank you very, very much for sharing. This happens more often than people think. Chances are that you know quite a few people who may have been affected by cancer. These are definitely things that cannot wait while life goes on. The earlier the better. Things that are wrong, or seem wrong, need to be mentioned to the doctor. Even if you don't know what it is or means. Sometimes the very smallest of things, the most inconsequential of things, they can make a difference.

If you've found Anne as a friend Greg, then you've found a dear friend indeed. She has got to be one of the most caring people I have ever met. She's quite wonderful.

Much luck with the rest of your recovery Greg.

I have a very good friend (also in KC area) who has been a swimmer, outdoor hound, etc. for many years, and now coaches swimming. She is 44 and a year ago they discovered a small spot on her upper thigh. Yes, melanoma, and they also caught it in time. But even then it required major surgery twice to get it all and heal properly.

best to you, Greg, and definitely prayers...

Greg,

At what point do moles become a concern? I have had two moles appear where I didn't have them before, but they don't seem to be growing very fast. I mentioned it to my doctor, but he did not seem too concerned. He said that it is normal to have new moles to pop-up during your life.

Then question is: then how do you know when to be concerned about them, and when not to?

jmiskey

I'm no doctor but you should go and see yours if these moles change shape/size/colour or become irritating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back