Filter by color

dfmor

I have a coworker who color codes his rows in Excel 97. He wants to filter by the different colors. I've explained to him that he could insert a column and uses key words/letters so that he could then filter. But, is any way in Excel 97 to filter by color or at the least sort by color?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Do you want (for example) to sort the cells so that the RED ones are on top then BLUE, GREEN etc..?

Upvote 0
On 2002-07-29 10:15, mvieke wrote:
Do you want (for example) to sort the cells so that the RED ones are on top then BLUE, GREEN etc..?

He is using four colors. If filtering is out of the question, he would like to sort in this order: green, blue, yellow, and red.

Upvote 0
If your cells with a colored patterns are in column A, with cell A2 selected create a defined name, Color_Val, that refers to the formula, =GET.CELL(38,Sheet1!$A2). Now you can create a new column in your data list using the formula...

=Color_Val+RAND()*0

You can Filter or Sort on this new column.

Upvote 0
Also have a look at Harlan Grove's ExtCell, which extends the CELL worksheet function. It's available at:

ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/ExtCell.zip

To add this to your WB:

"Go to the VBE (Alt F11), click on File | Import, and browse for the .bas file."

=extcell("backgroundcolor",A1)

will give you the A1's color index number.

From here, follow Mark W.'s instructions depicted in his reply.

Upvote 0
Thanks Al, mvieke, Mark, Aladin, and Dave for your help. I'm put on other projects now and will return to this problem soon but I'm sure one or more of your solutions will help me out. Again, thanks for taking the time to answer. This board is great :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back