Wish me luck - and a little help, maybe! ;)

Patience

Hey all, I started a new job on Monday, working for a company I have wanted to work for for a long time. So pleased to be here! :-D Although my job isn't specifically development/programmy type job, I have already been asked to create and develop a file that has the potential to be big and important. The Excel side of stuff I don't think will be a problem, but it is a new job, and a new industry (it is higher education) so I am still learning how it works and fits together. I am really excited by it, and totally don't want to screw this up - beacause if I can get this right it could be good kudos! Make or break, eh!

As an aside, does anyone know if it is possible to determine what RGB a colour is made up of - I want to tie my file into the 'house' colours, but I can't find out what they are - is there a way of finding out from an online sample? I tried simply right clicking and going to properties, but all I got was 'Miscellaneous Properties, Text: English.'?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Good luck Bryony! Sounds exciting ;)

(No idea on the RGB thing though. Do you have a design / style guide that specifies such things?)

RGB colour of a cell in Excel? Try

Code:
Sub ShowColour()
Dim RGBColour As String, R As Integer, G As Integer, B As Integer
RGBColour = Right("000000" & Hex(ActiveCell.Interior.Color), 6)
R = WorksheetFunction.Hex2Dec(Right(RGBColour, 2))
G = WorksheetFunction.Hex2Dec(Mid(RGBColour, 3, 2))
B = WorksheetFunction.Hex2Dec(Left(RGBColour, 2))
MsgBox "RGB" & vbTab & R & ", " & G & ", " & B & vbCrLf & "Index" & vbTab & ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex
End Sub

Bryony

Congratulations!:)

But I think the actual question should be posted in a different forum.

And I think we need more explanation of what the question actually is.:eek:

What do you mean by 'tie my file into the house colours'?

What is it you are right clicking?

Hi all. Thanks for the congrats! I am still on cloud nine, here! :)

Thanks also for the colour links and advices - I found a link for a free download that is meant to help, but I wasn't allowed to install it. (Well, I guess its good knowing there is some security here!)

I think I'll have to pursue Emma's tip and see if I can't track down the person who might know our style guide. If we even have one...

Norie - sorry - I re-read my post, and I see it was somewhat convoluted! What I meant was, I was right clicking on an area of our website in the vain hope that there would be enough in the 'properties' to give me an answer on a plate.

Well, it is no big deal - I don't think the important people here are expecting/wanting a document in house style, I just want to give them something extra*, and I always think that is a good place to start. I will continue my search.

* Yes, I know - that makes me big creep!

Congrats and best of luck.

I'm afraid I struggle with picking the colours to paint my dining room so short of a visit to B&Q and the use of their colour scanner I can only hope other suggestions are more useful.

Best wishes,

Dom

What I meant was, I was right clicking on an area of our website in the vain hope that there would be enough in the 'properties' to give me an answer on a plate.
You can almost always right-click a website and pick view source from the popup menu. If it is a complex page, it might be a challenge to locate the appropriate color setting buried in all the HTML. Here our corporate logo is specified in terms of the Pantone scale. But I should think that if you are able to find whoever is the guardian of the logo (he' probably in marketing), he could help you.

EDIT -- CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:
Bryony,

Congratulations!
I would add that if a company had its logo/corp ID done by a professional they would have the Pantone values, but they would also have the RGB values and any other relavent values; monitors cannot display pantone and hence the web cannot.(Pantone is a print Spec)

The color values in a website will only be there if the site design uses color other than in graphics, otherwise the info you seek is buried in a image file. Also I did a quick check as it has been a long time since I have worked in the Graphic design world, but web colours are Hexidecimal values!!! So you might need to convert the Hex to RGB!

You could try to bring the file into photoshop and with the colour evaluation tool get the RGB values. It *may* not be exact if you use a jpg, due to compression, but will be pretty close. If you don't know anyone with photoshop, PM me the file and I will do it for you.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back