Spilt a date range into one row per day

liorchn

Hi there,

Can you please help me (I guess with a macro code) how to split a date range into one day per row.

Ive got an excel sheet with 30,000 rows which contains an absence leaves of the company employees (emp number, emp name, absence code, start date, end date).

I want that every row contain only one day and not a date range (I know that this will lead to the addition of many roes but i dont have a choise)

Thank you very much​

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
i think you might need to posts some of the data, and what it should look like

I guess that on some days you will have more than one worker off, do they get a line each

when they are off, do you use the first day off to day back, do you / will you over count planned days off as sickness

Upvote 0
i think you might need to posts some of the data, and what it should look like

I guess that on some days you will have more than one worker off, do they get a line each

when they are off, do you use the first day off to day back, do you / will you over count planned days off as sickness

I dont know how to upload a file to the message but ill try to explain through your qwestions :

"I guess that on some days you will have more than one worker off, do they get a line each" = yes

"when they are off, do you use the first day off to day back (Yes)

do you / will you over count planned days off as sickness - Im not sure that i understand the question, but in general all the absent types are counted

Thank you very much

Upvote 0
Im not sure that i understand the question, but in general all the absent types are counted

If a worker is off on the Monday and stays off for two weeks returning on the Monday, are they counted as Ten Days (because they get two days off per week) or fourteen days

Upvote 0
Can you please help me (I guess with a macro code) how to split a date range into one day per row.

Ive got an excel sheet with 30,000 rows which contains an absence leaves of the company employees (emp number, emp name, absence code, start date, end date).

I want that every row contain only one day and not a date range
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

See if this is what you want. Test in a copy of your workbook.
Rich (BB code):
Sub One_Day_Per_Row()
  Dim a, b
  Dim rws As Long, sr As Long, i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, r As Long

a = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Resize(, 6).Value
  rws = UBound(a, 1)
  For r = 1 To rws
    a(r, 6) = a(r, 5) - a(r, 4) + 1
    k = k + a(r, 6)
  Next r
  If k < Rows.Count Then
    ReDim b(1 To k, 1 To 4)
    sr = 1
    For r = 1 To rws
      For i = 0 To a(r, 6) - 1
        For j = 1 To 3
          b(sr + i, j) = a(r, j)
        Next j
        b(sr + i, 4) = a(r, 4) + i
      Next i
      sr = sr + a(r, 6)
    Next r
    Range("G2").Resize(k, 4).Value = b
    Range("G1:J1").Value = Array("emp number", "emp name", "absence code", "date")
  Else
    MsgBox "Too many rows"
  End If
End Sub

Starting with the data in columns A:E below, the code has produced what you see in columns G:J. Is that what you want?

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJ
1emp numberemp nameabsence codestart dateend dateemp numberemp nameabsence codedate
2A101Name1x25-Apr-1402-May-14A101Name1x25-Apr-14
3X765Name2y03-Mar-1403-Mar-14A101Name1x26-Apr-14
4A101Name1y07-May-1409-May-14A101Name1x27-Apr-14
5B888Name3z28-Dec-1305-Jan-14A101Name1x28-Apr-14
6A101Name1x29-Apr-14
7A101Name1x30-Apr-14
8A101Name1x01-May-14
9A101Name1x02-May-14
10X765Name2y03-Mar-14
11A101Name1y07-May-14
12A101Name1y08-May-14
13A101Name1y09-May-14
14B888Name3z28-Dec-13
15B888Name3z29-Dec-13
16B888Name3z30-Dec-13
17B888Name3z31-Dec-13
18B888Name3z01-Jan-14
19B888Name3z02-Jan-14
20B888Name3z03-Jan-14
21B888Name3z04-Jan-14
22B888Name3z05-Jan-14
One day per row

Upvote 0
Hi..

This should work as well...

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim Lr As Long, trCnt As Integer, trVal, cell
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        For Each cell In .Range("A2:A" & Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
        Lr = .Range("J" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1

trCnt = DateDiff("d", cell.Offset(, 3), cell.Offset(, 4)) + 1
            trVal = Array(cell.Value, cell.Offset(, 1).Value, cell.Offset(, 2).Value)
            cell.Offset(Lr - cell.Row, 9).Resize(trCnt, 3).Value = trVal
            cell.Offset(Lr - cell.Row, 12).Value = cell.Offset(, 3).Value

cell.Offset(Lr - cell.Row, 12).Resize(trCnt).DataSeries Rowcol:=xlColumns, Type:=xlChronological, Date:= _
                                                       xlDay, Step:=1, Stop:=cell.Offset(, 4).Value, Trend:=False
        Next cell
    End With
End Sub

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:75px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:88px;" /><col style="width:74px;" /><col style="width:96px;" /><col style="width:75px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td><td >I</td><td >J</td><td >K</td><td >L</td><td >M</td></tr><tr style="height:31px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="color:#333333; font-weight:bold; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">emp number</td><td style="color:#333333; font-weight:bold; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">emp name</td><td style="color:#333333; font-weight:bold; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">absence code</td><td style="color:#333333; font-weight:bold; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">start date</td><td style="color:#333333; font-weight:bold; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">end date</td><td style="color:#333333; font-weight:bold; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; "> </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Emp Number</td><td style="font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Emp Name</td><td style="font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Absence Code</td><td style="font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Date</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">A101</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Name1</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">x</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">25-Apr-14</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">2-May-14</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">25-Apr-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">X765</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Name2</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">y</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">3-Mar-14</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">3-Mar-14</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">26-Apr-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">A101</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Name1</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">y</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">7-May-14</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">9-May-14</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">27-Apr-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">B888</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Name3</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">z</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">28-Dec-13</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; text-align:right; ">5-Jan-14</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">28-Apr-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">29-Apr-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">30-Apr-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1-May-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >x</td><td style="text-align:right; ">2-May-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >X765</td><td >Name2</td><td >y</td><td style="text-align:right; ">3-Mar-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >11</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >y</td><td style="text-align:right; ">7-May-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >12</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >y</td><td style="text-align:right; ">8-May-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >13</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A101</td><td >Name1</td><td >y</td><td style="text-align:right; ">9-May-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >14</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">28-Dec-13</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >15</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">29-Dec-13</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >16</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">30-Dec-13</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >17</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">31-Dec-13</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >18</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1-Jan-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >19</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">2-Jan-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >20</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">3-Jan-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >21</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">4-Jan-14</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >22</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B888</td><td >Name3</td><td >z</td><td style="text-align:right; ">5-Jan-14</td></tr></table> <br />Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

Upvote 0
This should work as well...
Andrew, you are probably right, but did you note that the OP has 30,000 rows of this data and did you test your code on anything larger than your posted screen shot? I don't suggest you start testing at 30,000 but might be worth looking at how it goes with, say, 500 or 1000 rows to get an idea of speed. :)

Upvote 0
Good point Peter..

I did a quick test with 5000 rows and it did it in what 'seemed' like under a second..

Not a very accurate test.. i know.. and i can see how your code is only reading once and writing once.. and all the loops are done within memory..

Whereas.. mine is writing to the sheet each time..

I wonder if my method could be done within memory.. I will try that tomorrow.. :)

Upvote 0
Good point Peter..

I did a quick test with 5000 rows and it did it in what 'seemed' like under a second..

Not a very accurate test.. i know.. and i can see how your code is only reading once and writing once.. and all the loops are done within memory..

Whereas.. mine is writing to the sheet each time..

I wonder if my method could be done within memory.. I will try that tomorrow.. :)

Thank you very much (both of you)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back