SEG 2 ID
VALUE 1
TOTAL
TOM
HARRY
MIKE

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want a formula for the "TOTAL" column that will sum the "VALUE 1" column for the "NAME" column values up through the next "NAME" entry... but will do so for *every* row in between (i.e. for Tom, I'd want "550" to appear on each of the first three "TOTAL" row lines). Here are the definitive parameters:

• Spaces between "names" will ALWAYS be empty
  • The "Seg 1/2 ID" columns will ALWAYS be "1,1" on the line where there is a name, and will always be ordered (I'm including this fact in case it may be easier to use the ordered number series in those columns instead of the blank spaces in the name column)

So if there were something like "SUMIF(A2:A1000,OR(A2,[BLANK-CELL-IN-COLUMN-BETWEEN-A2-AND-NEXT-NON-BLANK-IN-COLUMN]),D2:D1000)" or something... that would be great. I'm sure there's some easy way to either index the column or make excel believe the blank spaces are all duplicates of whatever the most recent non-blank space was and return what I have above... I'm just not sure what that easy way is!

Thanks as always; holla

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Sorry, for some reason when I paste in your userID, it displayes in a strange way???? - like this: ****ieD

If the below screenshot is correct (cells, rows, columns), what should be the totals per row in column E?

Excel 2007
ABCDE
1NAMESEG 1 IDSEG 2 IDVALUE 1TOTAL
2TOM11100
5HARRY11200
8MIKE1150
Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey all -- been a while

To keep this simple: let's say I have the following data:

NAME
SEG 1 ID
SEG 2 ID
VALUE 1
TOTAL
TOM
HARRY
MIKE

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I want a formula for the "TOTAL" column that will sum the "VALUE 1" column for the "NAME" column values up through the next "NAME" entry... but will do so for *every* row in between (i.e. for Tom, I'd want "550" to appear on each of the first three "TOTAL" row lines). Here are the definitive parameters:

• Spaces between "names" will ALWAYS be empty
  • The "Seg 1/2 ID" columns will ALWAYS be "1,1" on the line where there is a name, and will always be ordered (I'm including this fact in case it may be easier to use the ordered number series in those columns instead of the blank spaces in the name column)

So if there were something like "SUMIF(A2:A1000,OR(A2,[BLANK-CELL-IN-COLUMN-BETWEEN-A2-AND-NEXT-NON-BLANK-IN-COLUMN]),D2:D1000)" or something... that would be great. I'm sure there's some easy way to either index the column or make excel believe the blank spaces are all duplicates of whatever the most recent non-blank space was and return what I have above... I'm just not sure what that easy way is!

Thanks as always; holla

Looks like...

E2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IF($A2="","",SUM(D2:INDEX(D2:$D$11,LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,
  CHOOSE({1,2},ROWS(D2:$D$11),MATCH(TRUE,A3:$A$11<>"",0))))))

Upvote 0
Wow -- my notifications didn't go off for some reason.

Anyway... thanks as ALWAYS Aladin! That seems to work just greatly (to note, I was close this time -- was stuck in the middle though, where your use of "choose" does the trick!)

And yeah hiker... vBulletin doesn't like the first part of my name!

Upvote 0
Wow -- my notifications didn't go off for some reason.

Anyway... thanks as ALWAYS Aladin! That seems to work just greatly (to note, I was close this time -- was stuck in the middle though, where your use of "choose" does the trick!)

You are welcome. Thanks for providing feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tdeulkar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back