AOL

Tarheel

Board Regular
I use AOL 8.0 at work, and I cannot post a topic or reply to a topic from within AOL. It lets me log in and fill out the form to post, but when I hit the submit button, I get a page that says invalid session.

I am using AOL 8.0 on Windows 98. It does this every single time, I have rebooted, switched pcs, cleared cache, etc. Nothing seems to solve this problem. I have to use IE to post.

So basically, what you are saying is what others have said many times then?
i.e. AOL is crap and really not worth the hassle. ;)

Actually, Mark, I work for AOL and will agree to disagree with you on your point. Thirty million members can't be wrong, and we're still growing, despite what you may read in the press.

I was thinking more along the lines of the PHP folks not being diligent enough to account for AOL browser contingencies. We account for MILLIONS of page views each and every day, so you'd think they wouldn't have missed that one.

Tarheel said:
Actually, Mark, I work for AOL and will agree to disagree with you on your point. Thirty million members can't be wrong, and we're still growing, despite what you may read in the press.

What's your point? Hundreds of millions of people smoke, but it doesn't mean it's right to smoke.

I also don't care who you work for, however if you can stop AOL sending me unsolicited mail addressed to "The Current Resident" then I'd be more than happy to furnish you with my personal details.

I work for a large electricity company that burns hundreds of millions of tons of coal per day. I personally believe that we should use renewable energy or cleaner technologies like wind or nuclear power but I still enjoy being paid. Maybe some day I'll be powerful enough to make those changes. :D

I was thinking more along the lines of the PHP folks not being diligent enough to account for AOL browser contingencies. We account for MILLIONS of page views each and every day, so you'd think they wouldn't have missed that one.

Perhaps AOL should look into conforming with the php folk's standards. Perhaps like the rest of the world that doesn't want to use AOL or AOL's browsers, the php guys have no intention of coding for something that they personally will never use. Besides, what has PHP's lack of ability to work with AOL got to do with this board? This board was created with out the box software.

I have no real problems with AOL as a company, my ISP is Earthlink for God's sake. I just like to choose the software that is installed on my computer and not blindly install from an unsolicited CD. I initially disliked AOL when they were an OSP rather than an ISP. I preferred to have access to a broader range of information than any of the OSP's at the time would furnish.

OK, I've done some research on the relevant forum for php, which is:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/

...just in case you were wondering Tarheel.

The following post seems to offer a workaround for AOL browsers. However, it appears to compromise the security of the board. If this were my board, my answer would be, "Screw it, IE gets installed with Windows. Chances are an AOL user wouldn't know how to remove all traces of IE safely, thus they still have it installed. Use the MS software in this case." ...but it's not my board. :D

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=309106#309106

Easy work round is to open and connect via AOL then minimise the AOL Window and use another browser.

This is the way I work from home as the missus has an AOL account she's had for ages and it seems to make sense.

DaveA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senthil Murugan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back