increase speed and simplify VBA

TinaP

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to automate a process where I get a list of checks and money orders purchased then manipulate it to make auditors happy. I need to eliminate all transactions less than $3000. The fly in the ointment, however, is NOT to eliminate daily transactions by the same purchaser that may be less than $3000, but when added together are greater than $3000.

I've created a helper column where I've inserted the formula
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(DateRange=A2),--(PurchaserRange=G2),--(VoidRange<>"Y"),AmtRange)
All of the ranges are dynamic.
Log Test.xls
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1DATECK#BRAMTTYPEPAYEENAMEPURCHASERNAMEPURCHASERADDRESSCUSTVOIDCASHINHELPER
211/2/20062594423750C1aA-3,750.00
311/2/200614243414795M1bBN798.00795.00
411/2/2006417274398.5M1CY42.853,098.50
511/2/20064172842700M1CY42.423,098.50
611/2/2006522475303.13C1eDY-303.13
711/2/2006143344145013.24C1fE-5,013.24
811/2/200610273771308592.15C1gF-308,592.15
911/2/200610273781682C1hG-682.00
1011/2/2006102737911350C1iHY-1,350.00
1111/2/20061433451468C1jI-68.00
1211/3/2006121565124600C1jJ4,600.004,600.00
Sheet1

The actual sheet has more than 12,000 records. I import, create dynamic named ranges and insert the helper column in VBA. I would love to simplify the macro in order to speed it up. This is the code to add the helper column which takes the most time:
Code:
Sub Add_Helper()
Dim Cell                      As Range

Application.Calculation = xlManual
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For Each Cell In Range("DateRange")
    Cell.Offset(0, 11) = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(DateRange=" & Cell.Address & "),--(PurchaserRange=" & Cell.Offset(0, 5).Address & "),--(VoidRange<>""Y""),AmtRange)"
  Next Cell
  Calculate
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
First off, I would turn off calculation and write the formula all at once...it'll be much faster. Then I'd convert the formulas to values. Then I'd sort it and delete everything at once. Then turn calcualtion back on (if it was on in the first place.)

Or, if sorting is not an option then loop using an array to test and store the records you want to keep. This be very fast.

Give this a shot:

Code:
Sub Macro1()

With Application
        .Calculation = xlManual
        .ScreenUpdating = False
    End With

Range("L2:L" & Range("A" & Cells.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(DateRange=RC[-11]),--(PurchaserRange=RC[-5]),--(VoidRange<>""Y""),AmtRange)"
    Range("L2:L" & Range("A" & Cells.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Value = Range("L2:L" & Range("A" & Cells.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Value

Range("A1:L" & Range("A" & Cells.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Sort Key1:=Range("L1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _
                                                                     OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

lRow = Evaluate("MATCH(2999,L:L)")
    If WorksheetFunction.IsNumber(lRow) = True Then
        Range("A2:L" & lRow).EntireRow.Delete
    End If

With Application
        .Calculation = xlAutomatic
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Then I'd sort it and delete everything at once.

...or apply a filter and delete the displayed rows.

Denis

With as many records that she has it would take a long time to delete. There are posts about this here. With a lot of records it is undeniably much faster to first sort the data.

Upvote 0
Let Excel do the work for you. Use the data table you have as the source for a MS Query created database query. Specify the Purchaser and the Date and Sum(Amount) as the fields of interest. Add a criterion of Sum(Amount)>=3000.

Now, all you have to do is update the source table and refresh the existing query.

Edit: For a brief introduction to MS Query see
Building and using a relational database in Excel (with a little help from MS Query)
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/rdbms_in_excel/index.html

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to automate a process where I get a list of checks and money orders purchased then manipulate it to make auditors happy. I need to eliminate all transactions less than $3000. The fly in the ointment, however, is NOT to eliminate daily transactions by the same purchaser that may be less than $3000, but when added together are greater than $3000.

I've created a helper column where I've inserted the formula
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(DateRange=A2),--(PurchaserRange=G2),--(VoidRange<>"Y"),AmtRange)
All of the ranges are dynamic.
{snip of image}

The actual sheet has more than 12,000 records. I import, create dynamic named ranges and insert the helper column in VBA. I would love to simplify the macro in order to speed it up. This is the code to add the helper column which takes the most time:
Code:
Sub Add_Helper()
Dim Cell                      As Range

Application.Calculation = xlManual
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For Each Cell In Range("DateRange")
    Cell.Offset(0, 11) = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(DateRange=" & Cell.Address & "),--(PurchaserRange=" & Cell.Offset(0, 5).Address & "),--(VoidRange<>""Y""),AmtRange)"
  Next Cell
  Calculate
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Can anyone help?

Upvote 0
Yeah, too many jump to using VBA when simpler solutions exist. I create Query tables, PivotTables, and associated charts whenever possible. Then, I convert the workbook into a template. Maintenance becomes a cinch and performance is as fast as Excel itself! Not to mention that my clients can make minor tweaks themselves without having to involve me.

Last year I created a template and an associated add-in to analyze XML data downloaded via a web service. Yesterday, I decided to add a new analysis module to it. My work consisted of starting with the current template, adding to the main data table 3 new columns with formulas that computed additional data items I needed, creating a new PT based on the data, a new chart based on the PT, and saving the result as a new template.

The changes to the code? None. The code was originally written to automatically extend the formulas to all new data rows.

Testing? Minimal. The first -- and only -- pass revealed an error in one of the three formulas I added. Fixed it and I was done.

Total time? On a product I hadn't looked at in nearly a year, a little under an hour.
Use the data table you have as the source for a MS Query created database query.

Gosh darn good idea there, Tushar.

Upvote 0
One thing I could never figure out is, for example:

Let's say I have a random list of part numbers, let's say 1000 part numbers. There's no parameters in regards to the parts themselves, but let's say I wanted to look at 2006 and 2007 sales.

can this be accomplised using Query, and how easy is it?

I have actually come across this and my solution was a brute force find/copy/paste solution from a pivot table. It's not entirely slow, but it is certAINLY AN *UGLY* way of going about it.

do you have a recommendation?

Upvote 0

Let's say I have a random list of part numbers, let's say 1000 part numbers. There are no parameters in regards to the parts themselves, but let's say I wanted to look at 2006 and 2007 sales.

The data is contained in a PT and may contain say 20,000 part numbers with 4 years of sales in total (part numbers down the side, years along the top.)

Can this be accomplised using Query, efficiently, and how easy is it?

I know Query has the "and" comparison function, however, doing this 1000 times seems crazy, and probably not possible. So, can Query do this some other way?

I have actually come across this and my solution was a brute force find/copy/paste solution from a pivot table. It's not entirely slow, but it is certainly an *UGLY* way of going about it.

Do you have a recommendation?

Upvote 0
Use the source of the PT as the source for the query. You can specify 2 values for a column with a connecting OR condition as in Year=2006 OR Year=2007. Let MSQuery / SQL worry about the speed.

You can take it a step further. If you specify the two values as parameters, you could enter them as values in two cells and let MSQuery update the table whenever either cell value changes. Assuming you want all years between the 1st and 2nd years, the criteria in MS Query should be > = Year1 AND < = Year2.

Let's say I have a random list of part numbers, let's say 1000 part numbers. There are no parameters in regards to the parts themselves, but let's say I wanted to look at 2006 and 2007 sales.

The data is contained in a PT and may contain say 20,000 part numbers with 4 years of sales in total (part numbers down the side, years along the top.)

Can this be accomplised using Query, efficiently, and how easy is it?

I know Query has the "and" comparison function, however, doing this 1000 times seems crazy, and probably not possible. So, can Query do this some other way?

I have actually come across this and my solution was a brute force find/copy/paste solution from a pivot table. It's not entirely slow, but it is certainly an *UGLY* way of going about it.

Do you have a recommendation?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve T

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back