Excel Gaming Site

Bartek

Board Regular
Hi,

Most Excel user sooner or later discover some Excel games - different variants of snake, arkanoids, card games etc. Recently I made my own game and decided to create a site devoted to discuss Excel gaming:

http://www.DzikoSoft.com

At that moment, I included GMEXCEL section - general essay on Excel entertainment, Calculor's Dungeon - my own arcade/puzzle in Excel, and Links.
What do you think about the idea of a site devoted to Excel games? I would be grateful for remarks and suggestions. I would also welcome any contributions - your games, articles, and programming tips for Excel game developers. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Bartek,

Thanks for the link -- looks good! I am going to try a few of them out when I get some spare time...

Denis

These aren't excel games, but I got sent Tetris, Sonic The Hedgohog, PacMan (original 70's version) and a golf game to play on Excel today.

Have no idea how it works, but the quality is very good. Am currently at work so have also not extensively tested them, but just having the ability is fantastic...

Hi,

played a bit "Dungeon": nice little game :-)
tried to do all kinds of stupid things (just as I do when testing my projects)
selecting other sheets while game is running runs into bug

you might check out all those stupid actions users could do

greetings,
Erik

Hi,

tried to do all kinds of stupid things (just as I do when testing my projects)selecting other sheets while game is running runs into bug
you might check out all those stupid actions users could do

Thanks for your comments. The game uses constant refreshing with DoEvents and thus is rather vulnerable to any stupid actions. Protecting against all of these would require a lot of additional coding and might slow everything down, so I decided only to apply basic protection (hide sheet tabs, protect worksheet, set scrollarea).

Advanced user could easily bypass it, as he could "cheat" by pausing the game in other way than by pressing space bar. I think I will add some additional protection anyway, especially to prevent random errors. For example, my colleagues run into trouble when they accidentally press left ALT (activate the menu) so I added a code to handle this.

Thanks for your comments. The game uses constant refreshing with DoEvents and thus is rather vulnerable to any stupid actions. Protecting against all of these would require a lot of additional coding and might slow everything down, so I decided only to apply basic protection (hide sheet tabs, protect worksheet, set scrollarea).
some options (difficult without seeing the code)
perhaps you could hide the other sheets when playing
OR
you could add the sheetreferences to your code: when users goes to other page, code could continue to run ... (punishment for leaving that way :-) )
OR
you could call the pausefunction when another sheet is activated
(workbookmodule worksheetactivate-event)

this said: it's a nice game :-)

Hi,

some options (difficult without seeing the code)
perhaps you could hide the other sheets when playing

This is the easiest option - I added few lines of code to hide two other sheets during the game and uploaded updated file to my site. By the way: it always bugs me why minor change, like adding this few lines of code result in .xls file suddenly becoming 20kb bigger (zipped file is only 1kb bigger) :roll:

talking about filesize:
when finishing a project I always rebuild the entire thing from scratch
sheets, forms + modules
generally this takes a few hours, but I find it worth the time

perhaps I'll start a thread about that to share experiences and learn from others ...

greetings,
Erik

EDIT
thread: http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=232835

Hi,

Finally, I added an Excel Games Library to my site. It lists over eighty Excel games with short descriptions, links to websites and downloads:

http://www.dzikosoft.com/gmexcel/library.html

Minesweeper clones seems to be the most popular among Excel developers, but you may find many other puzzles and arcades in the library. I will be adding new games soon, I think it is possible to hit a hundred games this year.

Hi,

Minesweeper is indeed nice, although the layout could be easily enhanced to my point of view...
I looked quickly to a few games: some have bugs, at least on my system.

How do you determine the quality of the games you list over there ? Just thinking about the reputation of your site :-)

best regards,
Erik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaseyJones1979

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back