Split this forum into two?

pi

Board Regular
Hi!

This here is an excellent forum, but almost impossible to read (only checking to find new interesting topics is a very lengthy procedure). I find myself often in the position that I find some topic interesting, but then it turns out that it is something unexpected. This is then related to solving something with or without macros. In most cases I want (for different reasons not relevant for this discussion) to do it without. So to me it would be natural to split this forum into one for Excel questions without VBA and another specific to those topics.

pi

What about questions that can be answered with a mix of VBA and formulas?

Or where a formula solution or a VBA solution could be used?

That is a problem indeed. My assumption is that in most cases people will start with a restriction if macros are allowed. In my totally biased idea I would put "mixed questions" to the macros forum. Or there might be a third one like this:
Excel questions without macros
Excel VBA questions
Excel "don't care if macro" questions

I am not really convinced about the latter, though;)

pi

What it comes down to is that it's that we ("we" being the administrators and moderators) have discussed this many times (both publicly in this forum and otherwise) and always come to the fact that it's easier to have all of the Excel questions in one area. Whether they are questions about VBA or formulas does not matter as there can be multiple ways of reaching a result.

This has been discussed many times in the past; search the 'About this board' forum.

Edit: One example of such a discussion:
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=7609

In my (albeit limited) experience, most people looking for a solution aren't bothered whether or not it's achieved via VBA, formulae or any other technique. In many cases, they have no idea how to achieve it, so the split of VBA/non-VBA would be irrelevant.

I posted a rant on here a while back about the poor search facilities of this board, and was advised to use Google to search the message board, rather than the board's own search facility. The link can be found here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=site:MrExcel.com+

Alternately, you could just look in the "Board Announcements" forum to see Nate's write up on how to search the board :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back