Return values for current month only?

bmurch71

Board Regular
Hi,
I have a store sales table in my database, and I'm writing a larger query to generate a daily sales report. In this daily report, we want to see the sales total for the previous day, as well as for all days prior, within the current month. The table includes both date and sales amount fields. Put another way, I'm trying to get Access to know what day we are currently on when the report is run, and to only show sales data for the previous days of the current month (grouped by date). That's pretty awkwardly written, but I'm hoping someone will be able to decipher that!
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi,

In the criteria section of the query, under the date column enter this :

>DateAdd("d",-Day(Now()),Now()) And <=Now()

This should do the trick.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Andrew, you've done it again! Thanks a lot for your help - that's twice you've helped me out now! Can you recommend a good resource for learning more about the seemingly endless array of functions available in Access? I find MS Help to be slightly less than helpful most of the time. Thanks again for your expertise.

Upvote 0
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

To get into the "real deal" Access help, while in Access press the Alt and F11 keys to get into the VB section and then click the help button on the toolbar - this will give you the genuine Access help instead of the "Excel" version that you get from within Access. (By Excel version, a lot of the answers to Access questions have Excel functions and references and don't apply to Access, plus turn off the annoying wizard help thingy that is set to start by default).

When I get stuck (it happens frequently) I often find a lot of answers here. The default version is 2003 but the concepts still hold. Plus the MS technet and knowledge base sections are helpful too.

Andrew. (y)

Upvote 0
Ok, a variation on the above:
I now need the same type of date criteria, but for last year (i.e. I want to pull sales from 11/1/04 to the current day). I've tried playing around with subtracting 365 from the now() values, but i think the leap year is throwing it off. Sorry to belabor this point, but I'm stuck on this one. Thanks again in advance for any help!
Brian

Upvote 0
Aargh! I keep thinking of more questions. I also want to do year-to-date reporting - i.e. sales from Jan 1 to the current day this year, and from Jan 1 2003 to the same day last year. Any thoughts?
Brian

Upvote 0
Hi Brian

I tested the following solutions and they worked for me. For the current year to date use this :

>="01/01/" & Year(Now()) And <=Now()

and for the previous year to date use this :

>="01/01/" & (Year(Now())-1) And <=(Now()-365)

Please note the second formula assumes there is no leap year. There will be a way around that but my brain is fading after a long day at work so I can't think of the solution at the moment. If it's an issue let us know.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
andrew93 thinks to self * I must read all of your posts before replying *

I see leap years is an issue so instead of using this formula for the prior year, year to date :

>="01/01/" & (Year(Now())-1) And <=(Now()-365)

use this formula instead :

>="01/01/" & (Year(Now())-1) And <=(Day(Now()) & "/" & Month(Now()) & "/" & (Year(Now())-1)) {NB I use the format dd/mm/yy so you might want to swap the day and month bits in the formula}

In your previous previous post you mentioned this :

I now need the same type of date criteria, but for last year (i.e. I want to pull sales from 11/1/04 to the current day). I've tried playing around with subtracting 365 from the now() values, but i think the leap year is throwing it off

If you still need help with this let us know and can you clarify the 11/1/04 - is that correct or should it be 11/1/03?. My post above might help you resolve this but if you need a hand just post another reply.

Cheers, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Andrew, you rock! That was exactly the ticket - and I did mean to type 03, not 04 in my earlier post. I was able to modify some of your YTD expressions and get them to work for MTD last year. Very, very helpful. My accounting staff are going to love me, and I owe much of it to you! I am very grateful to folks like yourself who share their knowledge with less experienced peeps like me - thanks again.
Cheers,
Brian

Upvote 0
:LOL:

Thanks for the feedback and you are welcome. Don't tell your accounting staff where you got the answer from - let them think that you worked it out and that you rock!

Cheers, Andrew.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back