Query Date calculation with is error?

afs24

Board Regular
How can I still use the below calculation but have the answer come up blank instead of getting "error#" if there is no date or ther is an error# in the "Drop Time" feild?

What's happening is when the below calculation is ran I get "error#" in some instances because there is no date in the "Drop Time" feild. That's not that big of an issue except that I want to sort my report based on the "Ticker" feild, I can't, because the sort funciton won't sort if there is an "error#" in the "Ticker" feild.

Ticker: DateDiff("n",[Drop Time],[text78])/60

thank you

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hi,

try changing this formula

Ticker: DateDiff("n",[Drop Time],[text78])/60

to this :

Ticker: Iif ( IsNull ([Drop Time]), 0, DateDiff("n",[Drop Time],[text78])/60 )

I have assumed you want the "ticker" value to be zero if there is no "Drop Time" - if this is not the case, then you can enter the value you want in place of the zero in the middle of the formula.

Please note that I have only solved the issue that you raised in your post and I have not included any tests (e.g. isnull) for the other variables in your formula.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks.
I'm still getting #Error. Below is an example of the calculation you gave me and what is showing up.

Ticker: IIf(IsNull([Drop Time]),0,DateDiff("n",[Drop Time],[text78])/60)

Drop Time text 78 ticker
10/18/2004 11:55:00 PM 10/21/2004 9:21:19 PM 69.43
10/21/2004 9:21:19 PM #Error

In the ticker feild for the 2nd row there should be a 0.

Upvote 0
Sorry, the example got messed up when I posted. Here is the example in two different formats. I'm sure you get the picture.

Drop Time text 78 ticker
10/18/2004 11:55:00 PM 10/21/2004 9:21:19 PM 69.43
"this is were it's null" 10/21/2004 9:21:19 PM #Error

Drop Time
10/18/2004 11:55:00 PM
"this is were it's null

text 78
10/21/2004 9:21:19 PM
10/21/2004 9:21:19 PM #Error

ticker
#Error

Upvote 0
Hi, I tested the formula using the data you provided and I didn't get the error. Can you check the line that is giving the trouble (by looking at the data in the table) and confirm that [Drop Time] is in fact null and does not contain something else? What is the default value for this variable in the table design?

Andrew, :)

Upvote 0
Yes, the field is actually null for Drop Time in the table. The default value is blank in the table. Could th reason why I'm getting the error be that we're changing the null feilds to 0 and then it's trying to do a calculation with a date? But then again, you said you were not getting an error when you tested this. Any other suggestions? thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, in this formula :

Ticker: IIf(IsNull([Drop Time]),0,DateDiff("n",[Drop Time],[text78])/60)

... we are testing for the null value outside the datediff calculation. If [Drop Time] is null, it doesn't get into the datediff calculation and instead creates a ticker value of 0. This way, the datediff is only calculated if there is a [Drop Time] value - so I can't see how you would get an error unless something else is causing it.

Disregarding the error for the moment, what is the format of the [text78] variable? Mine was also formatted to "Date/Time" - is yours text or date/time?

Upvote 0
This calculation is working for me

IIf(([Drop Time])="","",DateDiff("n",[Drop Time],[PutTime])/60)

However, some fo the calculations are 0 or negative numbers. I don't want any of the zero's or negative numbers to show for my results. For some reason the negative numbers still show? thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, in the criteria part of the query, under this particular column, enter the following :

Is Not Null And >0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dofrancis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back